Your Carver Fire Department is a goal-orientated organization that prides itself in providing a superior level of service to our community at the lowest possible cost to each taxpayer.
The mission statement of the Carver Fire Department is “To be a leading Emergency Service Organization by meeting or exceeding the needs of our community in Fire Prevention, Fire Suppression, and Rescue Operations” and has become the benchmark from which our goals are derived each year.
We would like to thank the residents of Carver for your support during 2021!
Throughout this continued world wide pandemic, your Carver Fire Department has continued to meet every challenge we encountered. CFD has not missed a beat and as a Team, continues to be there for our community and each other. For that, I am extremely proud of every Officer, Firefighter, Dispatcher and their families!
2021 has also been a year of accomplishments for our Department. After an extensive evaluation of our entire Department, through the Insurance Services Office (ISO), we continue with an ISO 2/2Y fire service rating. This rating puts Carver Fire within the top 4% of Fire Departments across the entire nation. With the support of our community, we put in service a new Fire Tanker and a new Forestry Brush Apparatus awarded through a Fire Assistance Grant for $240,000. We graduated 7 new Carver Firefighters utilizing our new training facility and excellent in-house staff of certified Recruit and Station trainers and are in the process of hiring 5 new On-Call Firefighters that will graduate in May 2022. We mitigated numerous fire emergencies within the community, averaging a 5.5 minute response time, and averaging 21 certified Firefighters responding during the daytime and 30 Firefighters in the evenings. These accomplishments don’t just happen by themselves, but come from the support of our community and hard work from the Officers and Firefighters of your Fire Department.
The Carver Fire Department continues to be one of the lowest funded Fire Departments in the Commonwealth, at an annual cost of $749,509 or about $65 per resident. The dedication of our 87 member team is at the center of our flourishing Call Firefighting System that has been nationally recognized. Our system is continuously used as a model for several Fire Departments across the country, something that we can all be proud of.
MILESTONES OF 2021
- Our Fire Department continues as an official ISO 2/2Y Department. We are proud to announce savings to our residents from $100 to $600 per household. To our knowledge, we maintain the highest ISO ranking for a Call Fire Department in the State of Massachusetts.
- We have acquired a new Forestry Apparatus purchased through a $240,000 FEMA Fire Assistance grant, with a cost to the town of $11,300.
- The first two phases of a major Public Safety / Town Wide Radio System Upgrade project have been completed. New radio repeaters and receivers have been installed for Police, Fire, EMS and DPW. New fiber optic communication lines have been installed between the Public Safety facilities and our main repeater site. A public safety radio (BDA) system has been installed in the Middle/High School, a new police antenna tower has been installed and backup radio systems have been upgraded.
- A new Fire Water Tanker is completing final construction with delivery expected in February 2021.
- We promoted a new Health & Safety Officer with in our Department
- We have implemented a Carver High School Fire Intern Program, currently training five high school seniors in basic firefighting skills.
- In 2021 we have received a FEMA Firefighters Assistance Grant ($240,000), Safe Grants ($6,500), MIAA Grant ($7,000) for new 4 Gas Meters, Firefighter safety Grants ($38,000)
- Our Dive Team, consisting of 12 certified divers and 6 certified support personnel continue to excel, maintaining their Public Safety Dive Team Certification.
- Conducted a Department wide Live Structure Fire Simulation Trainings at our state of the art Training Facility. All Firefighters were trained in live fire scenarios, search and rescue, ladder rescues and water supply operations, all under realistic conditions.
- We continue to be nationally recognized as a model for other Fire Departments across the country.
- We manage and maintain a Professional Call Firefighting force that excels in regards to manpower for the critical daytime responses.
- We consider ourselves innovators of training. We continually explore and employ cutting edge practices in an effort to remain ahead of the curve in regards to training and personal safety. Training classes ranged from the Live Structure Fire training at our modern Training Facility, realistic Wild Fire Trainings, Safety Officer Driving Drills, Dive Drills and numerous Real Life/Hands on Incident Drills.
- By design, we continue to be one of the lower funded Firefighter Departments in the State, ($65/resident) with approximately 1.9% of Town budget being directed to the Fire Department.
- Due to the continued COVID Pandemic, we were not able to educate as many children with hands on Fire Prevention Programs as in previous years, but have continued to promote our Fire Prevention Programs and media through virtual platforms, reaching hundreds of our residents and their children.
- We successfully managed a Forestry Apparatus Committee, a Public Safety Radio Upgrade Committee, a Dive Team, an Honor Guard and a Photo Team Committee. All of these Committees are team oriented and focused on staying proactive in maintaining a Call Firefighting System and enhancing Public Safety in the Town of Carver.
Please join us in congratulating Captain Robert Telless and Firefighter Robert Giusti on their recent retirements from the Carver Fire Department. Health and Safety Captain Telless served our community for 50 years, and Firefighter Giusti served our community for 24 years. Captain Telless and Firefighter Giusti have all set the example of the kind of Fire Service Professionals that we should all strive to be.
Bobby and Bob please accept a sincere thank you from all of us at CFD for a combined 74 years of Loyalty, Dedication, Commitment, and most of all, your friendship. We wish you all health and happiness in your retirement.
I am extremely proud of the PRIDE and professionalism of each of our Officers and Firefighters in the performance of their duties in 2021. Their unselfish sacrifice, dedication, and loyalty are matched only by that of their families, as they to sacrifice every time our Firefighters are called to duty. I recognize the stress that this causes on their families and I am forever grateful for their support in allowing each one of our Firefighters to respond to help someone in their time of need.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank the citizens of our community for your support and investment in the Carver Fire Department during the past year. Your support matters and is appreciated by all of us here at CFD!
A special thank you to our Town Administrator, Richard LaFond, all Departments and Boards of the Town for their cooperation and assistance over the past year.
We continually remind ourselves where we have come from and those people before us that got us here!
Craig F. Weston
Eric P. Germaine
Deputy Fire Chief
Assistant Deputy Fire Chief